Sunday, December 16, 2007

2008 and Beyond

The big snowstorm, she is upon us. Yesterday all the newscasts were a buzz of doomsday snow reports. Snow started falling yesterday morning and stopped for awhile, then, while we were snuggled in bed sleeping the motherload dropped on us. Today, according to newscasts, is supposed to be blizzard contitions with 45mph winds whipping the snow into drifts. It's always the blowing and drifting you have to watch out for. Anyway, it's here.

So, it is Sunday morning and I've been up since 6:30 because I just couldn't sleep. Maybe it was the excitement of the new snow. I'm sitting at my dining room table looking out the window, watching Mother Nature do her thing.

I am thinking of the approaching new year and some changes I need to make. I've been considering my spirituality and how I really need to connect with God more often. Sometimes I feel a little too much a part of this material world and I need to maintain a closer connection with the bigger picture. I really think most people need to do this. It seems like the majority of folks are so out of touch with themselves and the divine nature of our earth. They (and I) get so enthralled with the misguided expectations and ideals of pop culture, material society and social climbing. How much money? How fast? How big? How much better? Comparing ourselves to each other and what we have or don't have, that we think we need. It gets so complicated. We make money only to spend it as fast as we can because society has taught us to be hyperconsumers. Which in turn makes us scramble around frantically trying to make more money. The cycle repeats itself over and over. Earn, spend, repeat.

This new year I want to simplify. I want to take care of my body. I want to put good things in it. I want to put good things in my mind too. The money I make, I want to save it. I want to invest it so my family can have the home we want someday and Boo and I can retire and not have to be Wal-Mart greeters when we're 70 because we neglected to save for retirement.
This year I want to instill lifestyle changes so I have a healthy mind, body and spirit. I want to relax. I want to nurture my spirit. I want to spend time outdoors, breathing fresh air and enjoying the beautiful earth.
Simplify. Mind, Body, Spirit.

No comments: