Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Good morning one and all! It's early, dark and cold but I am still so excited about the Hall of Fame Induction ceremony last night. As a Hoosier (which means I'm from Indiana, in case you didn't know) I was so excited for John Mellencamp to be inducted. Yes, yes, I know some of you might think he's a pain in the ass. He even said himself last night that it's not cool and never has been cool to be a Mellencamp fan. I've never been one to be swayed by popular opinion, so I'm a fan.
If you haven't listened to his music in awhile, I urge you to give it a whirl. I enjoy the good rockers like Authority song (and completely relate to it) and What if I came Knocking (probably my favorite). But the gritty soulfulness of songs like Minutes to Memories, Jackie Brown, Between a laugh and a tear...those are really introspective pieces. They quietly demand that you examine your own life and purpose. Another favorite with a blatant message, "Your life is now." I adopted this as a mantra to remind myself that there are no do-overs, no rehearsals, no second chances. My life is what I will make of it right now. In this moment.
Then there are the popular classics like Small Town, Jack and Diane, Scarecrow....I grew up in a small town and these songs speak volumes to me. I long to be back in a small town, and these songs give me solace sometimes. They give me just what I need when the traffic is too heavy, the pace is too fast, the people are angry at strangers, the world is too complicated and I just don't always feel safe where I live. These songs take me back to my town where safety wasn't a concern, even strangers (and there weren't many) wave as they drive down a country road and the pace of life was slower. Slow like a Friday night football game and going to Waffle house for cheese sticks afterward, slow like a Saturday trip to the Dairy Queen, slow like a Sunday afternoon walking through the woods with my dog. His music stirs so many images, memories and emotions in me and it truly inspires me.
Yea, give it a whirl. Thanks John Mellencamp for your words, music and soul, you've shared it all. Congratulations on your induction!

No comments: