Thursday, June 5, 2008

Flossy

When you grow up in a small town, typically, you have the same dentist and doctor that you started going to the first time you ever went to a dentist or doctor. I don't know how old I was when I first went to the dentist, maybe four years old? I don't know the rules about kids and getting to the dentist yet. So maybe I was four. Anyway, Dr. Huppert has been my dentist for some years now. Even when I went away to college three hours from home I had the same dentist. You know why? This is crazy, but Dr. Huppert actually had an office in my hometown AND the city my college was in. I think that is bizarre coincidence, but true nonetheless. It had something to do with the fact that his mother lived down there. Anyway...
I've grown up, gotten married and moved far enough away from my hometown that it doesn't make any kind of sense for me to continue going to his office. So yesterday I went with my husband (Boo) to his dentist. It was almost surreal. When the same guy has been humming songs and asking you open-ended questions while his hands are in your mouth since you were four-ish it's strange to meet the new guy. It was a strange dental tryst. But I think this is going to be a permanent change. The new guy is sweeping me off my feet; he's already scheduled a time to replace my old fillings with new white ones! He mentioned to Boo that Dr. Huppert should have replaced them long before now because they're breaking down. He's even talking about sending me off to get braces! His hygenists are so friendly! His wife is so nice! I thought everyone might break out into a musical number while we were there. I wouldn't have been surprised if a little animated bird had landed on my shoulder as I walked out of the office.
So long Dr. Huppert, you've been a nice dentist but things change. I'm gonna like it here!

No comments: