Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Spot


This is my Summer spot.  After my Bird is in bed and my husband is situated on the couch watching reruns
of Two and a Half Men; this is where I go.  I sit. I read. I drink an Izze, or a glass of wine, or a sweet tea.
*breathe in. breathe out.*  I stare at the sky and study the clouds or the early moon.  I ponder. I try not to ponder.  Sometimes I want nothing on my mind. Nothing but the sound of the birds, the breeze in the trees or the buzz of the cicadas. 
This particular evening I was engrossed in the novel I was reading, "The Help." If you haven't read it, you should. And you should buy it. Keep it. Let your children read it when they're older. 
And try an Izze.  I'm fond of Sparkling Blackberry but there are other flavors. 

I stay in my spot until it gets too dark to read or the mosquitoes start a buffet line at my feet.
Every evening I have the luxury to spend in my spot I always have company. I don't mind because he's
quiet, entertaining and mostly keeps to himself except when he takes a notion to light on my arm while I read.

Sometimes I like to imagine that he's visiting me as a representation of a loved one I've lost.  Just stopping in to say hello and everything is okay.  I don't really know if "he's" a he, but that's my first impression so that's what I go with.  I don't even name him because I feel like somehow that would be a hindrance to our relationship.  Each time I settle in my spot to read, think or not think...I look for him and pretty soon, he comes along to visit.

No comments: