Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Napoleon complex, doggie style

My dog just doesn't respect me. She never listens to me. I know this is my fault because I didn't give her any formal training. So, I realize I am the problem in the equation.

Todays scene in the snow covered backyard:

Me: go potty Mya
Mya: runs flippantly out into the snow (we have a big unfenced backyard)
Me: getting anxious because I realize that Phoebe the devil dog is in her backyard which is connected to our backyard. Phoebe is a remarkabley good fence climber.
Me: fearing for my dogs life and yelling, "Mya! Mya! Come in!"
Mya: runs parallel to wear I am..in search of a place to poop while threatening Phoebe with her "I'm too big for my britches" little big dog bark.
Me: "MYA!" Then I give in to the fact that she isn't listening to me. So I leave my post at the back door and race into the bathroom where Boo is taking a shower. "Boo! Mya is in the backyard with Phoebe, I need your help!"
Still Me: racing back to the back door just in time to see Phoebe climb her fence with the dreaded sound of her toenails making the chain link "chink chink" rattle.
Mya: Circles and crouches to poop.
Me: running out into the yard to scoop Mya up as soon as her last turd hits the ground. I stand over her with one eye on Phoebe. Whoops! Not fast enough! Mya races away from me toward Phoebe barking like, "Ha ha! I've got my mom for back up!"
Me again: running after Mya with my arms outstretched yelling "Damn it Mya come here! Phoebe GO HOME!"
Boo: turns up outside on the deck with a towel around his waist and actual soap lather in his chest hair. I really can't remember if he said anything.
Me: Mya thinks we're playing a chasing game and is having a great time. I am gasping for air running in the snow. I finally catch her and spank her butt. I was so afraid Phoebe was going to eat her and so angry that she wouldn't let me help her because I never trained her to come to me when I said so.
All of us: We go inside and Phoebe actually listened to me when I told her to go home. At least somebody listened to me. My dog and I need to sit down and have a talk. Oh yea, she won't sit when I tell her to either.

No comments: