Thursday, May 29, 2008

Can't you hear the crickets chirping? Me neither.

It's one of those warm Indiana spring nights. Warm enough to keep the windows open over night. I'm sitting at the dining room table enjoying the night breeze coming in the window. If I lived in the country where I'd prefer to live I would be listening to to rural night sounds like crickets and the wind rustling the trees. But I live in the most congested part of the city and I'm listening to the the magical sounds of the freeway and ambulance sirens from the nearby hospital. So, all but one window will be shut before I wander off to bed. The one window will be the one in our bedroom so if anyone tries to climb in we'll hear them.
I am glad that we have a gigantic backyard. I did a little beautifying today. I accumulated several flower pots and finally put flowers in them today. It looks like Better Homes and Freakin Gardens on our deck now. I enjoyed getting my hands in the dirt and watching the dogs play in the yard. It was reminiscent of being in the country. Have I mentioned that I grew up on 40 acres of fields and woods in rural central Indiana? I left home at 18 and I've been a city dweller for most of the time between then and now. I'm not really sure how that happened.
I had an apartment in college, an apartment after college, a house in the city with my ex-husband, an apartment after my divorce, then a little house that I rented in town. Now a house in the city with my new and final husband. He knows I am pining for a rural lifestyle and he'd like to accomodate me but the housing market has us sort of biding our time. And our house isn't bad, I just don't like the location. One of these days I'll tell you all about my hometown and where I grew up. But for now, let's enjoy this mild spring night and the moment we have now.

No comments: