Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sweet bird

It's the middle of the night and I'm awake. I went with some girls to see the "Sex and the City" movie tonight. It started at 9:30 but the power went out halfway thru the show and it took some time to get it up and running again. Good movie btw.
Hellacious storms came thru tonight and by the time I got home to let the dogs out it was past 1am. The backyard was flooded. Mya (our little dog) found something interesting under a tree and bounced around it while it tried to scamper away. Well, it scampered right into the flooded part of the yard. Mya was right with it, so I went out in the yard to get her. As I got closer I heard the thing "peep" in dispair. It was a baby bird that had been stormed out of it's nest. So I waded out into the water in my sundress, pajama pants and flip flops. I scooped him up in my hands, lost one flip flop and was soaked to my knees. The dogs were bouncing around me trying to see what it was. I took him inside and patted him dry. He seems in good health and just shy of being old enough to fly. I put him in a box with a paper towel nest and took him out to the garage where he'll be warm and dry tonight. If he makes it thru the night I'm going to take him to a wildlife rehab tomorrow.
Boo is at a bachelor party, so I had this adventure in the middle of the night without anyone to share it with so I'm sharing it with you. I am hoping this little bird makes it because he sure is cute. I'll keep you in the loop.

No comments: