Sunday, September 14, 2008

The New Dock

Friday night I loaded the dogs into the Honda CRV along with my husband and all our gear. Not only did we pack our regular "going to the lake" luggage, but we had to bring every conceivable tool that he might need to build a dock. Each male family member was required to show up with a power drill and enough stamina to build the new dock from start to finish in one day. I showed up with my camera. The guys built the new dock over at another cabin because they have a flat yard. Our cabin sits

way up on a a very steep hill. They figured this would be a more ideal location. This is how the dock began...My brother is attaching the floatation dealies. Once the floaters are attached, they have to flip the whole thing over to begin putting the decking in place. They are so manly.Here's my Boo and stepdad securing the bracing.The decking process begins.The guys are hammering the final board in place. Yay!The three manly men are trying to push that big ol thing into the water....
Turns out they needed to implement a little girl power.Look at that! It's in the water! It floats!My Boo and brother put a boat motor on it so they could "drive" it over to it's new home in from of our cabin. I think they look like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer floating down the Mississippi. Right?Here she is at her new home. She will connect to the steps with a ten foot gangplank. This dock will serve many years at our cabin. She will rise and fall with the lake level, weather many season changes, feel the pitter pat of tiny feet, serve as a launch pad for our dogs as we throw sticks for them to fetch, patiently watch future children learn to swim and lie in silent counsel for moments of much needed retreat. Built with love for the enjoyment of the whole family.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

How cool I love it and I love the happy faces of those who built it. What a sense of accomplishment.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hey! That's exactly what I was thinking "Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer"!
I didn't see any oars aboard...how'd they steer it to it's new home on the lake?

Sarah said...

W.O.W-

They used a boat motor to steer it.
I thought it was a great idea! My mom came up with that idea..they were originally going to use oars.

Mrs. Mom said...

That looks fantastic!! What a great job Huck and Tom did on the dock, with all the other helpers too ;)

Hope that you all get many, many more years of total enjoyment on the new dock.

Hey- with all the dogs, tools, luggage, your camera all crammed into the car, where'd you sit? LOL

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Ok, young lady...you've been awfully quiet here! Are you out lounging around at the cabin and dangling your feet from the new dock? Decide not to come back to BlogWorld??
**wink
Barb