Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Isn't "squirrel" a weird word?

I woke up this morning pissed off. I have no idea why. I was just irritable for no real reason. I even went to Starbucks for an Iced tall nonfat carmel macciato which is my usual wednesday morning routine, and it didn't even help. Then miraculously when I got to the office it began to wear off. Typically this order of emotional events happens in reverse. I'm usually testy at the office..not at Starbucks. Hmmm...I don't know what this means. Must have been a fluke.

Anyway, just a small observation to note on this blustery, unusually nippy October day; we had a small replica of the Wild Kingdom in our backyard this afternoon. There were eight million varieties of birds swooping from tree to tree to deck to yard to tree. My favorite bird, the Blue Jay, was out in force. I counted four. And a mottled disheveled looking cardinal made an appearance on the bench. There were two busy little squirrels hopping around in the yard. They were collecting berries and whatnot in their cheeks then digging around in the grass to bury the loot. I have no idea if these crazy buggers will be able to find it again. I assume they know what their doing. Needless to say, I felt I should let the menagerie know that their human neighbors would provide for them too...so I put out an ear of field corn for the squirrels and I filled the bird feeder.
I don't feed the birds in the summer because there is plenty for them to eat. And, I usually don't feed them until the first frost, but I wanted to be sure the Blue Jays knew they could hang around here. They are such shits, I love them.

No comments: